Education, Training & Presentations
Dr. Connie M. Siciliano Avila
Trauma, Addiction & Relationship Issues
Dr. Connie has experience in clinical and nonclinical settings, such as a psychiatric hospital, university counseling centers, and independent practice. She earned her Master of Arts and Doctorate degrees in the Counseling Psychology program at Texas Woman’s University. Her training focuses included trauma, addiction, family, diversity, GLBT and men’s/women’s issues. Further experience with clinical disorders included: dissociation, personality, mood, eating, psychosis, addiction, and post traumatic stress. She has also engaged in research related to family issues, including parenting, attachment, divorce, and fathering. Fostering healthy lives and families is at the heart of Dr. Connie’s education, trainings, and passion.
- Pre-doctorial: The University of Texas Arlington Counseling Services and Sante Center for Healing
- Post-doctorial: Timberlawn Mental Health Systems Trauma Partial Hospitalization Program
- Texas Woman’s University Counseling Center
- Timberlawn Mental Health Systems (TMHS) on the Trauma Inpatient Program
- Allen ISD
- Currently, Psychologist at MindSprouts PGT
- Also presently, Psychologist at a health & wellness center in Dallas
- Director of Trauma Clinic at Next STEPS Worldwide, PLLC
- Psychologist at Deer Oaks
- Inpatient Trauma Program Director at University Behavioral Health
- Private practice, counseling children, adolescents, adults, couples, and families
- Counselor and administrator roles at Timberlawn Mental Health Systems (TMHS) on the Trauma Inpatient and Partial Hospitalization Programs
- Associate Professor at Collin College
Additional Experience & Presentations
Dr. Avila has presented to various audiences and organizations on a range of topics. She will gladly interact with your group to provide psychoeducation and/or continuing education units (CEUs) to professionals. Contact her today to discuss options.
- Siciliano Avila, C. M. (2020). “Telehealth ethics & ways psychologists adapt to COVID-19.” Presentation at Collin County Psychological Association, Virtual meeting, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C. M. (2019). “Why do teens consider suicide? More than ’13 Reasons Why.” Presentation at Collin County Psychological Association, Plano, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C. M. & Scott, A. (2019). “Reframing the teenage brain.” reFramed podcast Season 1: Episode 7, Gladney Center for Adoption, Fort Worth, TX. To view, click here
- Siciliano Avila, C. M. & Scott, A. (2019). “Why do teens consider suicide? More than ’13 Reasons Why.” Presentation at Gladney Univeristy, Gladney Center for Adoption, Fort Worth, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C. M. & Scott, A. (2018). “Why do teens consider suicide? More than ’13 Reasons Why.” Presentation at University Behavioral Health, Denton, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C. M. (2018). “Safety & treatment interventions with unsafe clients.” Presentation at Eastfield College, Dallas, TX
- Alexander, I., Siciliano Avila, C. M., Ross, C. A., & Gotway, B. (2018). “The many parts of DID- dissociative identity disorder.” Documentary Presentation, Allen, TX *To view the full documentary, click here
- Siciliano Avila, C. M. & Scott, A. (2018). “Why do teens consider suicide? More than ’13 Reasons Why’.” Presentation at Adolescent Symposium, Plano, TX.
- Divine, T., McKechnie, J., & Siciliano Avila, C. M. (2017). “Put my oxygen mask on first. Say what? From working women to caregivers: Women’s health and wellness.” Presentation at Association of Business and Professional Women, Webster, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C. M. (2017). “Safety & Ethical Issues while Treating Unsafe Clients.” Presented at The Bay Area Net, Houston, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C.M. (2016). “Treating Addiction and Trauma with a Multimodal Approach.” Presented at the New Dimensions Day Treatment Centers Continuing Education Program. Houston, TX.
- Interviewed by Douglas and Kathy Morrison for The Senior Answer on 100.7 FM KKHT, The Word in Houston, TX. *To listen, click here: WARNING GRAPHIC LANGUAGE AND TRAUMA DETAILS
- Interviewed by Barry Gilgore about the Fathering Characteristics Study for the Voice on Family Law on AM 700 KSEV in Houston, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C.M. (2015). “Trauma and Dissociative Disorders.” Presented at the Bay Area Net. Houston, TX.
- Dagley, A., Garman, M., McKenchnie, J., and Avila, C.M. (2015). “Women Want to Know.” Presented at Association of Business and Professional Women. Webster, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C.M. and Hook, M.K. (2011). “How to Make the Hardest Job You’ll Ever Love Easier: Reducing parenting stress with your partner and kids.” Workshop presented at The Stress Factor Conference, First United Methodist Church. Allen, TX.
- Received scholarship from The Society for the Psychological Study of Men and Masculinity to attend a special session at the 2011 American Psychological Association’s Annual Convention.
- Siciliano Avila, C.M. (2010). “How to Talk to Children About Sexual Abuse.” Presented at Lake Highlands Early Childhood PTA Meeting. Dallas, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C.M. (2009). “How to Talk to Children About Abuse.” Presented at Allen Early Childhood PTA Meeting. Allen, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C.M. (2009). “Ethics: Therapist self and other disclosures.” Presented to therapists on Trauma Unit, Timberlawn Mental Health Center. Dallas, TX.
- Siciliano Avila, C.M. (2002). “Father/Child Attachment Relationships and Custodial Issues.” Paper presented at Texas Psychological Association’s (TPA) Annual Convention. San Antonio, TX.
- 2 Day Trauma Conference: The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk, M.D., through PESI.com
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional: Two Day Trauma Competency Conference by Robert Rhoton, PsyD, LPC, D.A.A.E.T.S., through PESI.com
- Mindful Self-Compassion Introduction Workshop with Gwen Brehm, M.Ed., LPC, LMFT
- Influences of Ethical Clinical Practices with Peggy J. August, LCDC, TRT
- Symposium: All for None Zero Suicides in Clinical Care Systems and Practice at APA Annual Convention 2016
- Symposium: Imaging the Human Male and Female Addicted Brain: Implications for Precision Medicine at APA Annual Convention 2016
- Symposium: PTSD, Aging, and Neurocognition-Interactions and Clinical Management at APA Annual Convention 2016
- Symposium: What Happens in Group– Evaluating Group Psychotherapy Process and Outcomes in Clinical and Training at APA Annual Convention 2016
- Healing Relationships after Infidelity: The new Monogamy and Erotic Recovery with Tammy Nelson, Ph.D., LPC
- Alternatives for Adolescents–Various Options when Change is Necessary with Londa May, M.Ed., CEP
- Grief Recovery with Brent LoCaste-Wilken, LCSW
- Aging, Dementia, and Special Populations with Andrew Griffin, Ph.D
- An Ethical Use of Electronics, EHR, and E-Anything: The Good You Do with Your Paperless Office with Joseph McCoy, Ph.D.
- Successful PTSD Treatment Using a Prolonged Exposure (PE) with Lt. Col (Ret.) Marlin K. Moore, Ph.D.
- Family, Recovery, and the Holidays with Bonnie Steele, LCDC, LVN
- Discussing Change in an Ever-Changing World with Takis Bogdanos, MA, LPC-S, CEAP, CGP
- Sexual Addiction: It’s Not Fun Anymore with Dee Gardner-Wilson, LMSW, LCDC, CSAT-c, EMDRII
- Etiology and Treatment of Eating Disorders with Rebecca Wagner, Ph.D.
- Senior Sexuality: Addressing Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs), Hepatitis, and HIV/AIDS with Kathleen Davis, BSN, LPC, LCDC
- Is Reasoning in Adolescence an Oxymoron? Dr. Jacquelyn Gamino, Ph.D.
- How to Make the Most of Telepsychology and Steer Clear of Common Pitfalls through American Psychological Association CEP
- TeleMental Health Counseling Essentials and Ethics, Self-Study with Raymond Barrett, LPC, LMHC
- EMDRIA Approved EMDR Therapist Training with Compassion Works, Jordan Shafer, MS, LPC
- Partner of Sex Addicts: A Traumatizing Experience with Dee Gardner- Wilson, LMSW, LCDC, CSAT
- Somatic Experiencing: Healing Trauma from the Bottom Up with Jeanna Gomez, LCSW, LADAC, CPC, SEP
- Trauma and Ethics with Colin A. Ross, MD
- Internet Addictions: A Current Crisis with Nathan Driskell, MA, LPC, NCC
- Becoming Embodied Part 2: Addressing the Body in ED and Trauma Recovery with Deanna James, MA, LPC
- Therapeutic Laughter for Mental and Physical Health with Patrice M. Houston, MA, LPC-S, LCDC, CEAP, CTT-M
- Sex in the Room: A Look at How Clinicians May Address Sexuality in Psychotherapy with Vivianna Coles, DMFT, LMFT-S, CSTIntroduction to Gottman Method Couple Therapy with Carrie Cole, M.Ed., LPC-S and Don Cole, D.Min., LPC-S, LMFT
- Trauma Model Therapy with Colin A. Ross, MD
- Getting the Love You Want with Dr. Margie McKeon and Dr. Dave McKeon
- A New Way to Love with Dr. Margie McKeon and Dr. Dave McKeon